Last year Alec Baldwin was rehearsing a scene while holding a prop gun when it went off and fired live rounds that killed cinematographer Halyna Hutchins
Alec Baldwin has reportedly surrendered his phone to police following the fatal shooting last year that killed cinematographer Halyna Hutchins.
The actor was rehearsing a scene for the film Rust when he was holding a prop gun and it went off but it fired live round which Halyna was hit with as well as injuring director Joel Souza.
A search warrant for the phone was issued back in December of last year but it seems the phone has just recently been obtained by police.
On Friday, the sheriff’s department spokesperson, Juan Rios said via email that Baldwin’s phone had been turned over to authorities in Suffolk County, New York and they’re not in the process of obtaining the relevant data to give to New Mexico investigators
Court documents say that text messages, emails, social network communications, browser activity, and other information stored on the device will be looked into.
Aaron Dyer, an attorney for Baldwin provided a statement which said Alec had given his phone to police.
He said: “Alec voluntarily provided his phone to the authorities this morning so they can finish their investigation.
“But this matter isn’t about his phone, and there are no answers on his phone. Alec did nothing wrong. The real question that needs to be answered is how live rounds got on the set in the first place.
“This is a process where one state makes the request of another state. Someone from another state can’t come to you and say, ‘Give me your phone, give me this, give me that’. They can’t do that. They’ve got to go through the state you live in.”
He went on to add that the star will ‘1000%’ comply with the process the police are going through.
Alec has previously said he didn’t know there was live ammunition in the gun and didn’t actually pull the trigger.
He’s said in the past that he met with the film’s armourer Hannah Gutierrez-Reed for a training session when she appeared capable and responsible.
She’s been one of the main subjects regarding the case but her attorney has said she did not put the round in the gun.
During an interview with ABC News anchor George Stephanopoulos back in December, Alec said the shooting happened while he was working with Hutchins on how to position a gun for a scene they were about to shoot.
He said: “The best way, the only way, we can honour the death of Halyna Hutchins is to find out the truth.
“That’s what I’m working toward, insisting on, demanding that the organizations involved in this investigation do everything in their power, everything in their power, to find out what really happened. That’s all that matters.”
Hutchins was a married mom of one and Alec reportedly spent some time with her family following the incident.
Director Joel Souza, 48, was was shot in the shoulder but recovered from his injuries.