Ohio State football will be all about making it to the playoff in 2022 but the schedule will challenge them while they work to punch a ticket.
Ohio State finished out the 2021 season with an epic victory in the Rose Bowl. After the game, head coach Ryan Day told the ESPN broadcast that they could use the game as momentum for 2022.
Day and his team have nine months to make sure that comes to pass.
After missing out on the Big Ten title and a playoff place, the Buckeyes will look to take the next step next season with C.J. Stroud leading the way.
Ohio State football schedule: Game-by-game predictions for 2022
- Sept. 3 vs. Notre Dame — WIN (1-0)
- Sept. 10 vs. Arkansas State — WIN (2-0)
- Sept. 17 vs. Toledo — WIN (3-0)
- Sept. 24 at Michigan State — LOSS (3-1)
- Oct. 1 at Penn State — WIN (4-1)
- Oct. 8 vs. Rutgers — WIN (5-1)
- Oct. 15 vs. Iowa — WIN (6-1)
- Oct. 22 BYE WEEK
- Oct. 29 vs. Indiana — WIN (7-1)
- Nov. 5 at Northwestern — WIN (8-1)
- Nov. 12 vs. Wisconsin — WIN (9-1)
- Nov. 19 at Maryland — WIN (10-1)
- Nov. 26 vs. Michigan — WIN (11-1)
The Buckeyes will open the 2022 season with a big game at home against Notre Dame. With Stroud and Jaxon Smith-Njigba returning, they should have the edge against an Irish team adjusting to a new quarterback and first-time head coach.
A couple of games against Arkansas State and Toledo will give Ohio State a nice ease into one of the hardest stretches of the year. Back-to-back road trips to Michigan State and Penn State will test the mettle of this team. Splitting the two seems a reasonable outcome.
From there, the Big Ten slate will try to throw speed bumps in the Buckeyes’ way. There are certainly no guarantees against Iowa and Wisconsin. However, there should be enough firepower on Ohio State’s roster to get through.
Finally, the regular season will end against Michigan and that game could have any result. Playing at home, Ohio State will be out for vengeance and they’ll be capable of getting it.